XPTools - Scenery Tools for X-Plane
XPTools are a series of small utilities for working with x-plane scenery.
Here's a basic list of what they do:
- Bug Fixes
- ObjConverter correctly handles DXF line segments and handles files with funny line endings.
- TaxiMaker can use materials to make bright signs at dusk in X-Plane 7.41.
- ObjView can display PNG files.
- GetImage can read and save PNG files.
- ObjConverter can save 3DS and DXF files.
Views X-Plane version 6 and version 7 .obj files with textures.
Converts Obj version 6, 3DS and DXF files to Obj-7 format.
Builds taxiway signs from scripts.
Converts scenery files to text format and back.
Adds many custom objects to a scenery file by terrain type.
Downloads terrain texture files for the US from TerraServer and applies
them to scenery files.
System Requirements and Downloading
XPTools run on any machine that can run X-Plane 7. Simply download
and unzip/unstuff the archive. XPTools do not have to be in teh X-System
folder; you can put them anywhere.
Current Version: beta 3, built 6/08/04.
TaxiMaker builds objects that use the "taxi2" bitmap.
Click here for the online documentation
for XPTools. Please read the docs carefully; XPTools can be tricky!
The first XPTools tutorial is up.
- Using GetImage to create accurate taxiway layouts.
Typical Uses for XPTools
Use ObjView to preview texturing and conversion of objects witihout having
to start X-Plane.
Use ObjConverter to convert 3DS, DXF and version 6 objects to version 7.
Use TaxiMaker to build many taxiway signs for airport scenery.
- Update your version 6 objects to version 7 quickly, then use the new
version 7 obj features.
- Build your objects in a modeling program , then save them as DXF or
3DS and convert them.
Use Env2CSV to change Env files to text format. Once a scenery file
is in text format:
Use AddObjects to add custom objects that are custom fit to your custom
textures for many objects in cities, or 3-d trees in forests.
- Copy and paste objects between files.
- Use search-and-replace to change the name or directory of an object
Use GetImage to download satelite images and apply them as terrain textures.
Use GetImage to combine a series of small bitmaps into larger ones or break
larger bitmaps into smaller ones.
- Use these photos to then build accurate airport taxiway layouts in
- Use these photos to hand-place objects for cities or other scenery.
- Use these photos as a starter for custom terrain textures.
- Edit the larger bitmap in photoshop to change the image quality of
all terrain textures at once.
- Apply a new larger bitmap over the old one in photoshop; GetImage
will chop it up and save it as smaller files.